Marine Mineral Resources of the Continental Shelf and Deep Ocean Floor: Current Stage of Knowledge and Perspectives...
Gdańsk Music and Congress Centre
Polish Geological Institute – National Research Institute
Workshop is organized by the Polish Geological Institute – National Research Institute as the main event of the celebrations of 100 th anniversary of the Polish Geological Institute and 50 years of seabed exploration by the Polish Geological Survey as well as the 50th anniversary of the Marine Geology Branch of PGI-NRI.
The Workshop will be held under the auspices of the Secretary of State Chief National Geologist, Government Plenipotentiary for National Mineral Resources Policy of the Republic of Poland, Prof. Mariusz Orion Jędrysek and of the EuroGeoSurveys organisation.
The Workshop sessions, panel discussions and poster sessions will focus on exchange of knowledge and experience in exploration and exploitation of marine mineral resources on continental shelves and the deep ocean floor taking into account a wide range of aspects, in particular:
- legal issues surrounding the exploration and extraction of marine mineral resources,
- methods of exploration and evaluation of marine mineral resources,
- deep sea mining,
- environmental issues related to the exploration and extraction of marine mineral resources, including an assessment of potential impacts on the environment.
The Workshop is addressed to state geological surveys and other government agencies and academia, non-profit organisations and the business world interested in exploration, evaluation and exploitation of marine mineral resources.
Gdańsk Music and Congress Centre,
Ul. Ołowianka 1, Gdańsk, Poland,
- Prof. Szymon Uścinowicz - CHAIRPERSON
- Dr. Urszula Pączek - VICE-CHAIRPERSON
- M. Sc. Anna Bagińska - SECRETARY
- Dr. Wojciech Brochwicz-Lewiński
- M. Sc. Ewa Dąbrowska-Jędrusik
- Dr. Wojciech Jegliński
- Dr. Grzegorz Uścinowicz
- Prof. Galo Hurtado Carrera (former member of the Legal and Technical Commission of the International Seabed Authority, former Chair and Vice-Chair of the Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf; Special Adviser to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico, Adjunct Research Associate, Dalhousie University, Visiting Professor World Maritime University): „Role and rules of the Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf - legal aspects of continental shelves”
- Prof. Mark Hannington (GEOMAR Helmholtz-Zentrum für Ozeanforschung, Marine Mineral Resources, Kiel) „Current Knowledge and Future Perspectives of Marine Mineral Resources”
- Prof. Yasuhiro Kato (Frontier Research Centre for Energy and Resources Graduate School of Engineering, Tokyo): „Investigations of the REE in ocean”
- Prof. Ryszard Kotliński (University of Szczecin, President of the Assembly of the International Seabed Authority 2008 and ormer member of the ISA Legal and Technical Commission, former Director of the Interoceanmetal Joint Organization): „Feromanganese deposits in the ocean (polymetallic nodules and cobalt -rich manganese crust)”
- Dr. Regina Kramarska (Polish Geological Institute - National Research Institute): „Baltic Amber – origin, resources and use”
- Dr. Cees Laban (former head of the Department of Marine Geology Geological Survey of the Netherlands and TNO, Geological Survey of the Netherlands, Chairman of the European Marine Sand & Gravel Group - EMSAGG): „Marine sand and gravel resources on continental shelves – exploration, extraction and use”
- Dr. Mazlan bin Madon (Member of Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf, and Advisor to Continental Shelf Project, National Security Council Malaysia, formerly Chief Geoscientist at PETRONAS - Malaysia’s National Petroleum Company, Kuala Lumpur): „Oil and gas resources on continental shelves – an overview”
- Prof. Stanisław Mikulski (Polish Geological Institute - National Research Institute): „Mineral Placer Deposits on continental shelves - origin, resources and exploitation
- Dr. Walter R. Roest (Département Ressources physiques et Ecosystèmes de fond de Mer Ifremer Centre de Bretagne; former member and Vice-Chair of the Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf): „Oceanic ridges and polymetallic massive sulphides resources – the roles of ISA and CLCS”
- Prof. Krzysztof Szamałek (Polish Geological Institute - National Research Institute): „The Polish contribution into ocean exploration and International Seabed Authority activities”
- Dr. Henry Vallius (Geological Survey of Finland, Chairman of EuroGeoSurveys Marine Geology Expert Group): „Global seafloor mapping - harmonisation of global seafloor data
Prof. Szymon Uścinowicz
tel. +48 22 45 92 731 or + 48 58 55 42 909 ext. 321
mob. +48 515 574 690
Dr. Urszula Pączek
tel. +48 58 55 42 909 ext. 227
More detailed information will be provided in the 2nd Circular in February 2018.