Lignite deposits are the property of the State Treasury. A concession which is the special permit awarded by the Minister of the Environment, is required in order to able to prospect, explore and produce lignite.
Concessions are granted for a definite time of minimum 3 and maximum 50 years.
The concession specifies:
- the type of and approach to delivery of exploration or production operations;
- space within which the operations are to be delivered;
- the term of the concession;
- operation commencement date;
- optionally - other (e.g. safety and environmental) requirements.
As of 30 June 2016, there were two lignite prospection and exploration concessions and 12 lignite production concessions active in Poland.