Polskie Towarzystwo Geologiczne
Państwowy Instytut Geologiczny-PIB
Instytut Paleobiologii PAN
Państwowy Instytut Geologiczny im. Dionýza Štúra w Bratysławie
We provide you a pdf second circular (8.39 MB) of the Jurassica XV geological conference, which will take place on 19‒22 September 2023 in the historical city of Iłża in central Poland.
The conference is organized after the last, successful Jurassica XIV meeting, which was held in Bratislava (Slovakia) and after a long break caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
The Jurassica XV conference is open to all researchers and people interested in stratigraphy, sedimentology, geochemistry, tectonics and palaeomagnetism of Jurassic rocks, palaeontology of Jurassic fossils and Jurassic geoturism. It is designated to exchange novel ideas among domestic and foreign participants and to present new geological discoveries and results of studies on Jurassic deposits, which also include Triassic/Jurassic and Jurassic/Cretaceous boundary strata.
The Jurassica XV conference is organised in Iłża in the NE margin of the Holy Cross Mountains. In this area, outcrops of marine, fossil-rich Upper Jurassic rocks, which were deposited in a shallow epicontinental sea, both in the environment of the shallow water carbonate platform and in more calm, offshore marine settings can be observed.
Due to significant progress in understanding of the stratigraphy, sedimentology and regional context and correlation of the studied rocks with those from the NW margin of the Holy Cross Mountains we can deliver you detailed information about the lithostratigraphy of the sections presented during field trips as well as their biostratigraphical, sequence stratigraphical and geochemical frameworks.
The conference is dedicated to the memory of Prof. Grzegorz Pieńkowski.
- 30th June 2023 - Registration and abstract submission deadline
- 15th July 2023 - Payment deadline
- 30th August 2023 - Detailed scientific program and the 3rd circular
- Regular participant: 900 PLN
- Student (including M.Sc. and Ph.D. students): 700 PLN
The conference fees should be paid by bank transfer into the following bank account:
IBAN: PL45 1020 2892 0000 5202 0181 6842
SWIFT CODE: BPKOPLPW
BANK NAME: PKO BP
ACCOUNT HOLDER: Polskie Towarzystwo Geologiczne (Polish Geological Society)
ADRESS OF THE ACCOUNT HOLDER: ul. Gronostajowa 3A, 30-387 Kraków,
POLAND TRANSFER TITLE: YOUR NAME + JURASSICA XV (important to recognize the sender).
Please fill the enclosed
The Community of Iłża offers participants of the Jurassica XV conference, free of charge, double rooms in bungalows¹ at the Iłżanka river reservoir and in the “Bursa” hotel² in Iłża. Both hotels are located within 5 min walking distance from the conference venue. Other, paid, accommodation places include the “Gościniec Iłżanka” hotel³ located in the city of Iłża and the “Jaskółka”hotel⁴ located a few kilometers north of Iłża.
The planned geological excursions, guided by B. Błażejowski, G. Niedźwiedzki, A. Wierzbowski, H. Wierzbowski and Ł. Weryński, include:
- 21.09 ‒ Upper Jurassic marine deposits of the NE margin of the Holy Cross Mountains of central Poland. The tour includes Oxfordian‒Lower Kimmeridgian shallow water carbonate deposits of Bałtów, Błaziny, Iłża (at the ruins of the Iłża castle) and Wierzbica as well as deeper offshore Upper Kimmeridgian deposits of Krzyżanowice. All the localities are rich in fossils including bivalves, gastropods and corals.
- 22.09 ‒ Jurassic terrestrial and marine deposits of the NW margin of the Holy Cross Mountains. The tour includes a Hettangian locality with dinosaur foot tracks in the Borkowice site (near Przysucha) and the mid-Tithonian Owadów-Brzezinki conservation Lagerstätte (near Sławno), which is famous for exceptionally preserved fossils of horseshoe crabs, crustaceans, marine reptiles, terrestrial insects and ammonites. This palaeontological site has recently yielded key micro- and macrofossil data for correlations between the Tethyan Tithonian and both the “Volgian” and the “Portlandian” biostratigraphical zonal schemes of Northern and Eastern Europe.
- Hubert Wierzbowski,
- Jolanta Iwańczuk,
- Barbara Massalska,
- Artur Teodorski.
- Błażej Błażejowski,
- Kamil Fekete,
- Anna Feldman- Olszewska,
- Jacek Grabowski,
- Grzegorz Niedźwiedzki,
- Daniela Reháková,
- Alfred Uchman,
- Andrzej Wierzbowski.